Saturday morning I took a class over at TrapezeU for a friend/client’s birthday and I learned two new tricks:
And the Split Whip
(That actually had very little to do with the story I’m telling, I just wanted to post the videos of my dream job just in case there’s a circus recruiter who just happens across my blog and decides he has to hire me to be his new trapeze artist.)
So last night when I was making Pistachio Chicken Salad with Avocado Dressing for dinner and I got about 75% of the way through assembling it, Jason finally got tired enough of hearing me moan and groan every time I had to lift an arm above my waist (trapeze is pretty brutal on the pectoral muscles), took over and sent me to the couch to ice my various ailments.
Twenty minutes later, while I was walking over to the table where he had dished out dinner, I began to say, “You know, Jason, it’s actually really lucky you took over making dinner tonight because I completely forgot about making the separate chicken breast with no nuts for Jonas and I probably would have served him a giant plate of allergy poison.” when I glanced over at Jonas’s plate and saw him, indeed, taking a large bite of allergy poison.
Turns out it’s been long enough since we’ve had an issue that we both forgot about Jo’s nut allergy last night. Ironically, he was the only kid aggressively digging in to his dinner. Even though this is a meal I’ve made 50 times, the other two were looking at it like I’d let our elderly cat poop on their plates and was serving it to them. Jonas, however, had managed to shovel down 2 or 3 big bites of chicken and pistachios before I snatched his plate away.
We quickly dosed him with Benadryl and remade him a dinner plate minus the poison, but I actually began to think maybe he’d outgrown the nut allergy or that we’d accidentally verified pistachios are not among the nuts he’s allergic to because he really seemed OK through dinner. I dug out an epi-pen to keep on hand just in case, but he wasn’t having trouble breathing, blowing up with hives or bursting into flames.
Then, shortly after dinner he said his stomach hurt, his eyes got really big and bloodshot and he puked all over the floor. Luckily, when I got ahold of the on-call pediatrician to find out if we needed to go to the ER, she said an anaphylactic reaction isn’t a delayed one. So his throat wouldn’t close up 2 hours after he’d ingested the nuts and we were safe to just generally keep an eye on him.
I have to say, I blame Jonas. We’ve always taught him that as an allergy kid, he needs to be constantly asking anyone who hands him food, ‘Does this have nuts in it? Because I’m allergic.’ Apparently he thought that rule didn’t apply to us. What, just because we’re his parents he assumes he should be able to trust us not to poison him? Oh foolish child. I’m clearly going to have to start making him food with nuts in it just to test him. Kid’s got to learn, right?