Alright, so I’ve finished ‘the bag’, as it’s come to be called in our house. As in, “Honey, can you give the boys a bath so I can just finish this bit of top-stitching on ‘the bag’?” or “I hope ‘the bag’ is going to be finished soon and the dining room table cleared of the chaos that now exists on it, or I will have to kill you in your sleep.”
I feel like I now own sewing with a pattern as a skill. It was totally confusing at first, but I’ve learned a lot and I’m totally hooked. I saw a bag in a cart at the grocery store this morning and I’m already planning my own pirated version to give as Christmas gifts.
Anyway, though I am happy with how the bag turned out in general, it has some major flaws. Sure, laying on my floor all poised and posed, it looks fab:
Unfortunately, its fatal flaw appears when you actually try to carry anything in it. Then it gets all smushy and shapeless. I took it to the fabric store and they diagnosed the problem as a severe lack of interfacing. So in the version 2.0 I will be working on soon for my backtacking buddy, I will make sure to remedy this problem.
Sewing is fun!